Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Courage and disappointment....

Displaying courage in familiar situations is easy; being able to show it in unfamiliar ones, however, is what sets people apart...How sad it is then when said courage creates in one a false impression of hope that disappointment haunts down and kills over time...

I've recently been put in a situation where I had to act on my feet and demonstrate a sort of courage which, until then, I wasn't completely sure I was capable of.

Long story short...I met a guy in circumstances which meant that I was probably never going to see him again in my life and was presented with the choices of either introducing myself or never seeing him ever again...Considering the fact that the guy was one of the cutest I had ever met, the fact that he was a commando (to whom I have a pronounced weakness :P), and the fact that the adrenaline from the show the commandos had given that day had fueled me with a sense of invincibility, I decided to talk to him.

So I went up to him and started a conversation using some absurd subject I can't even remember as an excuse to talk to him. I was funny and charming and used the best tricks in the book. As I was about to leave, he asked me if I were on facebook and - being someone who hates to wait endlessly and pointlessly; which I told him - I gave him my name and number on a piece of paper.

I went home that day feeling light as air and barely ate anything or listened to anything that was being said around me. My delight was increased when I got a message from him, and then again when we spoke a couple of days later, and two other times that same week.

Then, however, came old dreaded time and started to work it's magic...

Our first meeting was about two weeks ago and already we're talking less and less. I'm already starting to feel that I'm making to much effort...Too soon, the person that I first talked to is starting to change and I don't know how I should act exactly. That's only two weeks into the thing - whatever it may be - that might be staring between us.

That's how I link courage and disappointment. 

The first tricks you into thinking that every happy moment leads into elongated happiness because, well, it has to, doesn't it? The peasant has to marry the prince...The second comes then and shows reality as it is and stabs the fairy godmother in the back and turns the carriage back into a pumpkin...

In a larger sense, courage represents all those moments where we have to act and choose to do so, and disappointment represents the failure of some of those moments to deliver the results that they're hoped to deliver...

In the hope that happy moments succeed, more than not, in bringing more happiness, I say until next time... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment