Sunday, October 3, 2010

A beautiful future

Yesterday, I went to register for my first singing lesson ever.

My appointment was at 4p.m. but I left the house at 3 and went to my cousin Lina's house first. Of course, I asked he if she would like to come along. She agreed.

After spending about half an hour on the internet, we finally left the house. We arrived at the music institute about ten minutes later, we had walked the whole way over there. Lina wasn't a stranger to that institute, she had inquired about guitar lessons there about a year ago, but circumstances took her elsewhere.

That wasn't the first time I had spoken to the manager. I had met him a week ago when I had first dropped by to ask about the prices and schedules and then we had spoken again on the phone the morning of my registration.

While we were there, my cousin had to step out of the room to take a call, and while she was away, the manager looked at me and said "mousta2balik 7elo ya Marianne" which translates to "you have a beautiful future ahead of you Marianne". I giggled and thanked him but then asked why he was saying that. His answer was the one thing that had always reassured me that I could do whatever I wanted to do in life no matter how unrealistic that seemed to others.

He had said that it was because I had charisma and a strong personality.

You see, growing up, I was always shy and until I was 10 years old I used to cry every time anyone talked to me. Then, I hit a certain age when I had an epiphany about everything. In that same year, I found out how much I loved music and how talented I was at writing songs, I also found out I loved acting but that's a whole different story. I discovered too that, if I gave it a chance, I was really good at talking to people, especially those older than me, and I had a particularly developed skill at convincing people of my point of view.

I hate to blow my own trumpet, but I had to agree with the manager, that was something that I had always counted on and that I was never going to give up. Something that I had always had the feeling was going to take me places.

So thank you God for my ability to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment