Saturday, September 4, 2010

Typing the last couple of chapters

What would anyone expect a fifteen year old spend the summer doing?

On my own list of what my friends must have spent the summer doing, I had: going to the mall, going to the beach, hanging out with your friends, going to the movies...These are few of the things that I didn't do this summer.

You see, to the shock of the few school friends that I told this to, I have spent my summer writing a book, well actually, the first book out of a series of four books. It's your same old love story but with a twist.

Some people might think that if my first achievement was writing a book at the age of fifteen, then greater things certainly lie ahead, I agree. I'm someone who thinks big, hopes even bigger, I want every single picture that my imagination draws me to materialize in real life. I want to build palaces, travel the world, meet the most exotic people and places.

I have spent two months now, waking up at eight o'clock in the morning every single day and starting to work on my computer from nine to one o'clock in the afternoon (that's when my lunch brake is), then pick up where I had left off, and keep working until a 12 page chapter was done. I personally call it an achievement to write 12 pages, 5000 words every day in English (which is my third language after Arabic and French) and to have materiel to write day after day, to end up with 24 chapters at the end.

Before I started typing my book on the computer, I had already written about ten chapters, by hand, on my notebook. I kept those aside and typed the rest of the book directly.

When I was done, I went back to type those chapters that I had left and at first it was a relief that I was coming close to wrapping this project. Now that I'm down to the last couple of chapters, it doesn't feel the same anymore. I feel like I'm about to loose something. I had gotten so used to having that purpose, that thing to wake up to every morning, and now that it's almost over I don't want it to be.

I guess this isn't really the end, it's just the beginning.

A couple of months ago, my dream was to be a fifteen year old author, now it's to be a fifteen year old published author.

No comments:

Post a Comment